March 2013 ● Foreign Citizen Applications before Mexican Customs

By Grupo Intercam ● March 2013


Temporary Importation
Legal Framework

According to Mexican Law the temporary importation of vehicles, motorcycles, sea vessels and motorhomes is regulated by:

•Customs Law. (Artícle 106 Fracciones IV, Inciso a, V, Inciso c y d)
•Regulations of the Customs Law. (Artícles 139, 143 y 144) •Regulations of Foreign Trade for 2012. (4.2.5., 4.2.6. y 4.2.7.)

Temporary importation of vehicles, motorcycles,
sea vessels and motor homes

The Mexican Tax Agency (SAT) through the General Administration of Customs (AGA), controls the temporary importation of:

III.Sea vessels.

This service is granted through The Army, Airforce and Navy Bank of Mexico, S.N.C. (Banjercito), at the Importation and Entry Control Modules at the border – CIITEV.

Banjercito is responsible for issuing the permits and stickers that verify the temporary importation of vehicles, motorcycles, sea vessels and motorhomes. In addition, they process the reimbursement of the guarantee deposit when the vehicle is returned within the authorized timeframe.

Who can apply for a temporary importation permit?

Foreign citizens authorized by the National Immigration Institute (INM) the following immigration conditions:

1.- Visitor (tourist)

•Without permission to engage in employment activities
•With permission to engage in activities
•Border worker
•Humanitarian reasons
•For adoption purposes

I. Temporary Importation of Vehicles

You may apply at:
1. CIITEV Modules: Entry Customs modules at the border. Paying in cash, or by credit/debit card in the name of applicant (importer)

2. The following Mexican Consulates in the U.S., with six months in advance: Chicago, Illinois; Austin, Dallas y Houston, Texas; Los Ángeles, San Bernardino y Sacramento, California; Albuquerque, Nuevo México; Denver, Colorado ; and Phoenix, Arizona.

For the cancellation of temporary importation permit before the beginning of the authorized timeframe, a cancellation letter must be submitted to Banjercito alongside the original permit and hologram sticker.

3. By Internet at  or , between 10 and 60 days before the entry of the vehicle to Mexico.



Only international credit/debit card in the name of applicant (importer) is accepted online.

Requirements for the temporary importation of vehicles application

1.Valid passport. “or”
2. Passport card • Alongside FMM tourist document issued by INM.
3. Property title or current registration. “or”
4. Rental contract in the name of importer. “or”
5. Lease contract in the name of importer.

Requirements for the temporary importation of vehicles application

Application fees and Deposit.
•You must pay $44.00 US dollars plus I.V.A. 16%
•You must also put down a deposit in cash or credit card in the amount indicated by the following table:


Temporary Vehicle Importation Permit

foreing_4The application and payment for the temporary importation permit must be made in the same site and payment form corresponding to the place where the application was initiated (entry customs modules, Mexican consulates or online)

foreing_4aEach importer by signing the permit,  is obligated to return the vehicle outside of Mexico within the authorized time frame. And to not perform acts or omissions that will constitute infractions or crimes by the ill use or destination of the vehicle.

Again, we stress that the only immigration condition at this moment, that can be used for the temporary importation of vehicles or motorhomes is:

1.- Visitor (tourist)

•Without permission to engage in employment activities
•With permission to engage in activities
•Border worker
•Humanitarian reasons
•For adoption purposes


In case the authorized term expires and the vehicle has not exited Mexico, BANJERCITO will transfer your deposit to the Mexican Treasury (TESOFE) in Mexican currency and no later than the second working bank day following the expiration of your temporary permit.

Who can drive a temporarily imported vehicle?

•These vehicles can be driven within Mexico by:

1. The importer.
2. Espouse.
3. Ascendants. (Parents)
4. Descendants. (Children)
5. Siblings, even if they are Mexican nationals.
6. By a foreign citizen who is also a Visitor (tourist) permit holder.
7. By a Mexican national if any of the above are traveling in the car.

The following vehicles can be added to a temporary importation of vehicle permit:

1. Sea vessels of up to 14.7 feet (up to 4.5 meters long) and their pulling trailer if applicable.
2. Recreational vehicles (ATV’s).
3. Motorcycles or jet skis.

All of these must not exceed 3 units and the importer must offer proof of ownership.

Motorcycles entering Mexico on their own drive (not towed by another vehicle) and authorized to transit in Federal and State highways MUST adhere to the aforementioned temporary importation procedure; as if they were a freestanding vehicle.

A temporarily imported vehicle CANNOT be sold in Mexico under any circumstance.

In case your permit is no longer valid, you may apply for a “Safe Return Permit” for your car before the Administración Central de Grandes Contribuyentes in Mexico City, located at Hidalgo #77 modulo III, planta baja, Colonia Guerrero, Delegación Cuauhtémoc, México D.F., By sending the following documentation via courier service:

A letter declaring under penalty of perjury that the vehicle is your property, that is not involved in any Legal, Civil or Administrative procedure in relation to Customs Law (PAMA); by attaching the following:

  • Copy of the property title.
  • Copy of your immigration form.
  • Copy of official valid ID.
  • Originals of the Temporary Vehicle Importation Permit and hologram sticker.
  • Foreign citizens can apply for a temporary importation permit for one RV or motor home that is driven or towed.
  • The validity of this temporary permit will be for 10 years with multiple entries and exits.
  • The cost for this permit is $45.00 USD plus I.V.A.

    Application Requirements for a Temporary
    Motor Home Importation Permit

From the person:

* Passport.
* Naturalization Certificate.

From the Motor Home:

* Property Title.
* Registration issued by the competent authority in the country or state of origin.

Temporary Importation of Motor Home

You may apply for for a new temporary permit for another 10-year period. This application must be done 15 days prior to the expiration of the current permit, and does note require the physical presence of the RV or motor home.

Alongside the temporary importation of the motor home, you may bring into Mexico motorcycles, jet skis or recreational vehicles with the condition of documenting ownership. When additional accessories are brought alongside the motor home, a permit will only be issued for 180 days.

When the motor home transports or tows a vehicle (car or truck), Banjercito personnel will also charge and issue a Temporary Vehicle Importation Permit  for 180 days. This permit will be issued if the aforementioned conditions are met in accordance to customs law. (Reglas 4.2.7., 4.2.5., 4.2.6.)

Foreign citizens may temporarily import recreational or sport sea vessels such as boats, sailboats or yachts larger than 14.7 feet (over 4.5 meters long); including the trailers used to tow them. Vessels destined to tourist passenger transport and fishing activities can also be brought into Mexico through a “Temporary Vessel Importation Permit” The validity of this permit is for a period of 10 years.

The cost for this importation permit is $45.00 USD plus I.V.A

Requirements for the Temporary Importation
of a Sea Vessel

Of the person:

• Passport
• Naturalization Certificate

Of the vessel:

• Property Title.
• Current Registration.

Where to apply for a Temporary Vessel
Importation Permit?

At any CIITEV module operated by Banjercito, located at entry ports, Mexican Consulates or online.

In addition, this application can also be processed at the Customs Booths of Puerto Juárez, Quintana Roo and Ensenada Baja California. Also in the local branches of Banjercito located in Mazatlán, Veracruz, Tuxpan, Coatzacoalcos, Salina Cruz, Tampico, Manzanillo, Lázaro Cárdenas, Guaymas, Cd. del Carmen, Acapulco and Puerto Vallarta.

Repair parts and accessories may be temporarily imported, to be destined exclusively to the repair or replacement of the vessel. These parts must be registered at any CIITEV Module or online through the Register Form issued by Banjercito.

In the same manner, you may send or return overseas parts and accessories corresponding to the repair of the vessel. This merchandise must be registered before their departure at any CIITEV Module or online through the Register Form issued by Banjercito.

Banjercito employees will seal and register these Forms. The forms will enable the entry or exit of the merchandise into Mexico.

Cancelling a temporary importation permit for vehicles, motor homes or sea vessels

In all cancellation cases you must go to a CIITEV Module at a border Customs office. You must present the vehicle (car, motor home or vessel), the temporary importation permit, and the hologram sticker to obtain your cancellation receipt. In the case a refund is due, Banjercito will return the deposit using the same payment method:

1. If the deposit was made with a credit/debit card, the refund will be made to the same card used.

2. If the deposit was made in cash, the refund will be issued in cash by any CIITEV Module located at the border.

Permanent Importation of Foreign Vehicles


Legal Framework
Artícle 95  of the Mexican Customs Law.
Rules 3.5.1., 3.5.6. y 3.5.7. of the Regulations of Foreign Trade for 2012.

Permanent Importation

What is the permanent importation of vehicles?

Is a procedure by which a vehicle will be able to stay legally in Mexico for an unlimited period of time. This is done through and Importation Request made by an authorized Customs Broker.

To consult a list of authorized Customs Agents please visit:,; or by phone to 01 (55) 1107 – 8515 and 01 (55) 3300 – 7500.

Application procedure:

• The vehicle importation must be done at northernborderCustomsofficesormaritimetrafficCustomsports, through an importation request made by an authorized customs broker.
• The importation request will be for the vehicle only and cannot support any additional contents or merchandise.
• You must pay the required taxes, federal duties and applicable state taxes, just like any vehicle that is sold within Mexico. These fees are deposited into your customs broker’s bank account.

Documentation you must submit to your Customs Agent:

• Property title in the name of importer or endorsed to the name of importer as proof of ownership.
• Official ID of importer.
• Proof of address.
• Sticker or photo of the vehicle’s VIN number.

An approximation of the import taxes to be paid can be consulted in the following website:

Who to contact with additional questions?

Central Customs Operations Call Center Within México: 01 800 463 – 6728

From the United States and Canada: 1 (877) 448 – 8728

For investing in Mexico visit our webpage:

Grupo Intercam
Av. Francisco Medina Ascencio 2902 Local A-B Planta Baja
Colonia Villa Las Flores | Puetro Vallarta, Jalisco. Mexico


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s